Character and Citizenship Education
A dynamic CCE curriculum that focuses on inculcating values, building character, developing life skills and sense of belonging in our students.
National Education-Social Studies (NE-SS)
The NE-SS unit aims to develop students to be concerned citizens and active contributors of our nation. Through our SS curriculum and commemorative events, students will learn to appreciate our past, adapt to our present and anticipate our future. To further enhance their experience and deepen their knowledge, students will:
- utilise mobile devices to learn the subject in an interactive way.
- travel out of school to places of interest and learn about the multicultural Singapore and its heritages.
- dive deep into the past and find out more about Singapore’s history through historical trails.
These will help them understand the interconnectedness in Singapore and the world they live in. By doing so, we will help students foster a national identity where they stay rooted with a global outlook.
Project Work (PW)
The PW unit strives to develop problem solving and creative thinking skills in our students by involving students in conserving the environment. We do so through a structured process of guiding our students to:
- understand that upcycling is more efficient and environmentally sustaining
- identify used materials that can be upcycled.
- generate innovative solutions to utilise the used materials to create something useful to improve the quality of life in our society
- assess the feasibility and practicality of their solutions
- present confidently and communicate effectively when they showcase their inventions to others
Student Management (SM) and her Guidance curriculum
Aligned to our school mission of building character and enriching minds, the student management department aims to provide our students with the platform to practice values in action and making sound and informed decisions. One key programme that we have is the 1-week We-care Buddy programme. Primary 4 students are paired up with the Primary One students. The Primary 4 students helped to induct the Primary One students into their new school environment. Values such as responsibility and life skills like responsible decision-making will be taught out of a classroom setting and carried out practically.
Student Leadership (SL)
Student Leadership is an integral part of our education system. North Spring Primary School aims to implement an effective Student Leadership programme that is aligned to our school and national educational objectives. The aims of our Student Leadership Programme are to equip our student leaders with the necessary skills to develop their leadership potential, provide opportunities for them to practice their leadership skills and be developed in fulfilling their fullest potential.
They are then empowered to serve their peers and others in service learning in various areas and at various levels after going through a progressive student leadership programme. We hope all students will grow up being equipped with the right values and useful competencies to contribute to Singapore and the world beyond.
Students need to acquire the necessary skills to help them discern, decide and display behaviours that are inspirational and morally acceptable. These will prepare them for the future.
Values must be learnt through actions and demonstrated continually for students to understand their social obligations. Therefore, the VIA unit continues to create opportunities for our students to practice personal and social responsibility. For example, we have, as a school, encouraged students to keep the canteen clean and speak graciously to one another all the time. We are also involved in community work and donation drives too. They include:
- donating pre-loved textbooks, pocket money and items suitable for recycling.
- visiting Eldercare centres and non-profit health organizations.
- participating in community clean-up work.